Commonplace

seeking the story in the ordinary

Little

He stands perched on the top step of the hallway staircase and hurtles his soft, round body into space, trusting with full faith that my arms will find him.

Middle

His father reprimands him for toying with a fragile keyboard. Ashamed, he approaches me with his head hanging low, face contorted into a silent pre-cry. He burrows his flushed cheeks in the space beneath my chin. He fits perfectly there—the crook of my neck still his chosen retreat when the world comes crashing down on him.

Big

We take a walk on a rare morning alone together. Sometimes I keep pace beside him; sometimes I fall back, letting him lead. To see what he can see. A toss of the head, a hand in his pocket, a glimpse of adolescence.IMG_8970

Now he asks that I not stand in the open doorway as he boards the kindergarten bus. I acquiesce, while secretly looking on through the side window as he walks the concrete path.

He falls one morning, scraping his knees. Instinctively, I run to him, giving myself away. When I reach him, he’s already lifted himself off the ground. Yet still he takes the hand I offer. This time, we walk together the rest of the way.

Wordlessly, he climbs aboard to be gone for the balance of the day. Are you ok? I call after him, needing more. Squinting in the early morning light, I catch a thumbs up from the school bus window. Enough.

~

A shift, as subtle as it is certain. As unsettling as it is reassuring. We sway, unmoored, tossed about in time’s turbulence—our heads wind-whipped, cheeks chapped. Our feet seeking steady ground. And always weighing. When to catch them. When to let them fall.

Advertisements

21 thoughts on “Fall Shift

1. Amy says:

This takes my breath away. So tender, so true, so gorgeously written. . . Simply beautiful. xox

1. Thank you so much, as always…xoxo

2. Nina Badzin says:

Yes unsettling while also reassuring . . . the describes these changes perfectly!

1. Thanks, Nina…those words were the first to come to me in writing this piece! Thanks for reading 🙂

3. zsmc says:

I love this, Dina. I guess life is made up of these small shifts and we are so lucky when we get a chance to glimpse them as they happen.

1. Yes, so true. And well said. Writing about them has helped me notice and capture them even more. Thanks so much, Zsofi.

4. tricia says:

Oh yes. I love the way you softly describe these shifts. I’d be watching and giving myself away too. I love that he took your hand.

1. Aw…thanks, Tricia. Yes, it was quite the moment. He’s so clearly waging a war within himself–discovering his independence, but needing me still. Such a remarkable age!

5. Lara says:

Little made me thankful to still have my own Littles. I could see all of my children in Middle. And Big. Well, Big is testing the stretch of the band that tethers him to you. This is perhaps the greatest shift right now, yes? So hushed, so lovely, as always. xoxo

6. Oh yes, as I wrote to Tricia above, Big is so clearly struggling with how to set out on his own while simultaneously staying all mine. “Testing the stretch of the band that tethers him to you” — perfect. Thank you for adding your gorgeous words here. xox

7. acb23 says:

Just lovely.

8. My first visit to you blog and now wondering why!? Loved this so much!

1. Awww…thank you. Happy to have you here!

9. rudrip says:

Love how you describe these mini transitions. Loved the last paragraph, Dina.

10. What a beautiful post.

11. thelatchkeymom says:

Dina, this is beautiful; – and unsettling. Yes, small shifts.

12. mimisy4 says:

This is beautiful! Your writing is so vivid. I felt like I could see all those moments unfolding before me just as you did. I especially loved your last three sentences, felt like they captured the essence of parenthood. So glad to have found your blog and gorgeous writing!

13. Love this. Agreed…those last three sentences are gorgeous. I’m teary.

This is your place, too...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Jena Schwartz

The blog formerly known as Bullseye, Baby! Visit www.jenaschwartz.com to stay in touch!

Motherwell

Telling all sides of the parenting story

writing at the table

writer & mother, feeding my dream and my family

Do You Read Me? - Carisa Miller

seeking the story in the ordinary

Defining Motherhood

One mom's search for meaning in the madness.

Lemon Shark

Navigating the Uncharted Waters of Life

pull up a chair

where wisdom gathers, poetry unfolds and divine light is sparked...

My Words Go Here

read. write. muse.

Love That Max

seeking the story in the ordinary

Dani Shapiro

seeking the story in the ordinary

Nourished Mom

seeking the story in the ordinary

These Little Waves

seeking the story in the ordinary

Motherese

cultural commentary and musings on modern motherhood

Nina Badzin's Blog

Writing, Reading, Parenting & More

Evelyn A. Lauer

seeking the story in the ordinary

About 100%

seeking the story in the ordinary

Mama One to Three

New York City mama of one. Then three. Give me coffee or give me wine.

Joy, Lovely Joy

Writing through mothering

allisonslatertate

Smile! You’re at the best WordPress.com site ever

Cattywampus - The Blog of Devon Corneal

A Slightly Askew Take on Life

My Jenn-eration

seeking the story in the ordinary

Mama By The Bay

Living on the edge of the Left Coast, parenting a little left of center.

omnimom

the philosophy of parenting, not a parenting philosophy

%d bloggers like this: