Commonplace

seeking the story in the ordinary

Some have been shouting, some stay silent. Everything has changed, yet one day still follows the last, much like it always has.

Our burdens feel heavier, yes. But the beauty feels sharper too. Every small kindness, every gentle exchange. We are more porous somehow, risking both the scalding heat and the soothing salve of letting everything in. We have become more watchful—of our words, our ways with each other.

One morning in the week after the election, I woke in the dark and penned a little poem. Because sometimes a simple string of words can capture a shared moment. Because sometimes the sliver of the page is all you have space for.

I’m humbled to have that poem appear in an anthology of 100 post-election writings jointly published by The Rattling Wall and PEN Center USA. You can purchase a copy of the collection, Only Light Can Do That, here. (And below is a sneak peek of the pages with my poem.)

We don’t know where we go from here. We’ve taken down our lawn signs; we still work at being neighbors. I feel caught between catastrophe and carrying on.

But I zip my kid’s coat, put the coffee on, pay the bills. Buy peppers. Take long drives. Smile at strangers. Eat cereal before bed. Fold the laundry. Call a friend.

It’s still a beautiful world out there. I hope to see you in it.

fullsizerender-15

Advertisements

15 thoughts on “a little post-election poem

1. Tami Astorino says:

Wow. You took the words right out of my heart. But I never could have expressed them so beautifully so thank you for doing that for me and so many others. Keep writing. Love you.

Tami

610-710-1180

1. Baba says:

Learning to swim. Appreciate you. Gentle power to us all.

2. thank *you* … “keep writing” is the best encouragement there is. love you xox

2. The white knuckle grip on your belief that the world is good … oh, yes. I gasped. Perfect. xox

1. thank you, always, dear Lindsey. xox

3. Thank you Dina for the gifts of your words and your painfully poignant observations. Love this all so much.

1. thank you for your unwavering support…always love your words however they come. xo

4. Dana says:

Beautiful Dina, congrats and what an honor! Art matters indeed.

5. bam says:

this is so so beautiful. i had to send it out into the world. with this little note, in part: sometimes poetry is holy breath. breathe. you fill me with holy breath today. thank you. xoxoxo

1. this note, especially from you, made my day and more. always and endlessly grateful for your presence, your shining example, your selfless support. just thank you for you. grateful to share space. xox

6. Nina Badzin says:

So beautiful and inspiring

7. Mimi says:

This is beautiful Dina! I love how you wrote in your post you feel “caught between catastrophe and carrying on.” You put into words what I have been feeling.

1. thank you so much for reading & commenting, Mimi! yes…every day feels like that. i know you know…sending you love. xox

This is your place, too...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Jena Schwartz

The blog formerly known as Bullseye, Baby! Visit www.jenaschwartz.com to stay in touch!

Motherwell

Telling all sides of the parenting story

writing at the table

writer & mother, feeding my dream and my family

Do You Read Me? - Carisa Miller

seeking the story in the ordinary

Defining Motherhood

One mom's search for meaning in the madness.

Lemon Shark

Navigating the Uncharted Waters of Life

pull up a chair

where wisdom gathers, poetry unfolds and divine light is sparked...

My Words Go Here

read. write. muse.

Love That Max

seeking the story in the ordinary

Dani Shapiro

seeking the story in the ordinary

Nourished Mom

seeking the story in the ordinary

These Little Waves

seeking the story in the ordinary

Motherese

cultural commentary and musings on modern motherhood

Nina Badzin's Blog

Writing, Reading, Parenting & More

Evelyn A. Lauer

seeking the story in the ordinary

About 100%

seeking the story in the ordinary

Mama One to Three

New York City mama of one. Then three. Give me coffee or give me wine.

Joy, Lovely Joy

Writing through mothering

allisonslatertate

Smile! You’re at the best WordPress.com site ever

Cattywampus - The Blog of Devon Corneal

A Slightly Askew Take on Life

My Jenn-eration

seeking the story in the ordinary

Mama By The Bay

Living on the edge of the Left Coast, parenting a little left of center.

omnimom

the philosophy of parenting, not a parenting philosophy

%d bloggers like this: